“How to clean headlights with WD40” sounds unscientific and a bit primitive, even. Many even wonder if there’s some truth behind this rumor, especially when none of the products mentioned are made for cleaning headlights.
Well, you’ll be surprised to learn that WD40, toothpaste and baking soda actually do a good job. We’ll teach you how to use these various elements to keep your headlamps crystal clean in this guide!
- 1 What are the Steps To Cleaning Headlights With WD40?
- 2 How Do You Clean Your Vehicle’s Headlights With Toothpaste?
- 3 How Do You Clean Your Car’s Headlamps With Baking Soda?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
What are the Steps To Cleaning Headlights With WD40?
The steps to cleaning car headlights with WD40 include getting rid of all the dust on the headlights with water, then drying it with a cloth. Next, clean the headlights with the WD40, making sure that the liquid enters every crevice around the headlamps.
1. Tape Over the Paint or Bodywork Around the Headlights
The first step is to surround the paint or the bodywork around the headlights with painter’s tape. The idea is to protect the paint while you go about cleaning the headlights. Moreover, some cleaning products are abrasive, therefore remember to always use this precautionary measure regardless of the method.
2. Get Rid of All Dirt and Grime on the Headlights
Dirt and grime could interfere with the work of WD40, therefore, you’ll need to get rid of them. Moreover, the cleaning process can cause dirt to scratch the surface of the headlights worsening the problem.
Thus, wash the headlights with water (a pressure hose is preferable) and use a toothbrush to remove debris hiding in the corners of the headlight. Clean the headlights with a plain cloth or a microfiber cloth.
3. Use WD40 To Clean the Headlights
There are two ways to use WD40: either you spray it directly onto the car headlights or spray it into a piece of cloth. When you decide to spray it directly on the headlights, make sure it touches every part, including the crevices around the corners. Then allow it to linger on the lights for about 60 seconds to clear them of all filth. After the time has elapsed, wipe off the WD40 with a clean cloth.
How Do You Clean Your Vehicle’s Headlights With Toothpaste?
To clean your vehicle’s headlights with toothpaste, first wash the headlights with soap and water, then tape off the area around the headlights to protect them. The next step involves applying the toothpaste to a cloth and using it to wipe the surface of the headlamps.
Read the steps below for a detailed explanation.
1. Wash the Headlights With Soap and Water
Clean the headlamps with dish soap and water to get rid of particles of dust that may have settled on them.
These small particles can scratch the surface of the headlamps during the cleaning, thus wash the lights gently. Once you’re done washing, rinse the headlights with water and wipe them with a dry cloth.
2. Tape off the Area Around the Headlamps
The chemicals in the headlight cleaner may be abrasive and can damage the paint around the lights, which is why you need to tape them off. You can use painter’s tape for better results. Ensure you measure the perimeter/circumference of each headlight and cut the tapes accordingly.
3. Clean the Headlights With Toothpaste
Next is to clean the lights by applying toothpaste to each of them. Abrasive toothpaste and pastes with particles do a much better job than other types of toothpaste. Apply the paste to a cloth and rub the headlights in circular motions until you cover the entire surface area. Push the tips of the cloth into the crevices of the headlight to get rid of all debris.
4. Rinse the Headlamps With Water
Wait for about 5 minutes to allow the toothpaste to dry and then rinse it with water. Be sure to wait the entire 5 minutes because you may not get a great result if the paste doesn’t dry properly. When you’re done rinsing the plastic headlights, wipe off the water with a microfiber cloth.
How Do You Clean Your Car’s Headlamps With Baking Soda?
To clean your car’s headlamps with baking soda, you’ll have to mix it with water or vinegar into a baking soda paste, though vinegar guarantees a better result.
The vinegar reacts with the baking powder to form a foamy substance that cleanses the surface of the headlights. This is a good way of restoring headlights when they are full of dirt.
1. Wash the Headlights and Tape Off the Area Around Them
Wash the cloudy headlights to rid them of any dirt or debris that’ll scratch the surface during the cleaning. Next is to tape off the area around both headlights to keep the baking powder solution from affecting the paint.
2. Mix the Baking Powder With Vinegar or Water
Now, pour a handful of baking powder into a container and add a small amount of water or vinegar. As already mentioned, vinegar does a better job, but in its absence you can use water. Make sure you mix the baking soda-vinegar solution until it turns foamy and paste-like.
3. Clean the Headlights With the Baking Powder-Vinegar Solution
Apply the solution to a cloth and clean the entire surface of one headlight using circular motions. Repeat the process for the other light until both of them are covered in the soda-vinegar solution.
Leave it to dry for 5 minutes and rinse it off with water. Now, dry the water with a microfiber cloth or any dry cloth.
Frequently Asked Questions
– What Are Other Useful Ideas on How to Clean Headlights at Home?
Other useful ideas on how to clean yellow headlights at home include cleaning headlights with magic eraser or using a headlight restoration kit. These are specialized tools and solutions that are guaranteed to do a better job than the average cleaning materials.
– Can You Use Coca-Cola to Clean Car Headlights?
Yes, you can use Coca-Cola to clean car headlights. The phosphoric acid in the drink can clear the headlight lenses, leaving them a bit clear. It is advisable to pour the beverage into a spraying can and wiping the residue with a piece of cloth.
Though it might sound uncommon, it is possible to use either WD40 lubricant, toothpaste and baking soda to clean foggy headlights.
Here’s a summary of all that we’ve discussed in this article:
- First, you’ll need to wash the headlights of all dirt with soap and water to avoid scratching them during the actual cleaning process.
- Next, mask off the areas around both headlights with painter’s tape so that the paint and the metal remain unaffected.
- Now, apply your cleaning agent (WD40, baking soda or toothpaste) to the cloth and wipe the surface of the headlights in circular motions.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the tip of the cloth and clean all the crevices of the foggy headlights to ensure proper work is done.
- Allow the cleaning agent some time, preferably 5 minutes, before rinsing the light with water and drying it with a piece of cloth.
Note that some methods require repetition, therefore, if they don’t work initially, repeat them. Other methods are less effective than others, thus if you repeat several times but see no improvement, you can try another one.
- Oil Filter Brands to Avoid: Top Brands To Stay Away From - October 1, 2023
- Leaking Fuel Injector Symptoms and How to Fix It - September 30, 2023
- Is The Chevy Equinox AWD or FWD? All You Need to Know - September 29, 2023