Motorcycle paint cost depends upon a lot of factors, like the quality of paint you are trying to get, and the body shop you choose. If you are thinking of getting your motorcycle a paint job but are afraid of its cost, this guide is for you. Here, you will learn everything from the price if you do it yourself or from an expert to the charges for different types and parts.
So, let’s dive into the details!
- 1 What Is the Average Cost for a Motorcycle Paint Job?
- 2 What Is the Cost of Painting the Motorcycle’s Different Parts?
- 3 How Much Does a Powder Coating and Airbrush Spray Cost?
- 4 How Can You Paint Your Motorcycle Yourself?
- 5 How Much Does a Motorcycle Paint Job Cost If I Get it Done from Professionals?
- 6 How Much Does Removing Paint Scratch Cost?
- 7 How Long Does a Motorcycle Paint Job Take?
- 8 FAQ
- 9 How Can You Save Money on Motorcycle Paint Job?
- 10 Conclusion
What Is the Average Cost for a Motorcycle Paint Job?
The average cost for a motorcycle paint job is around $500 to $1,000. Typically, it depends on the detail of work required for the job and how much you spend on the paint. Moreover, the process’s cost also varies depending on your chosen method.
Doing it yourself will require less money while hiring a professional can be a bit costlier yet a better choice.
– Regular Motorcycle Paint Job Cost
A regular paint job for your motorbike can cost you from $300 to $1,500. It depends on various factors, for instance, your location. If you live in an urban metropolitan, the average cost increases, and vice versa.
It also depends on the type of motorcycle you have. For example, if you paint a normal bike, it will be cheaper, and you will have a new-like two-wheeler for around $400 to $500. But if it is something like Harley Davidson, the price can increase from $1,000 to $2,500. Regular paint job for sports bikes ranges from $900 to $1,500.
– Cost of a Custom Motorcycle Paint Job
The custom motorcycle paint job is much costlier and can range from $800 to $3,000. It primarily depends on the level of work you require, any additional rework, and the type of paint you require. However, you should be careful when choosing custom paint jobs, as sometimes their price can range from $12,000 to even $20,000, considering the level of detail.
Some custom paints are easily available, but sometimes the paint quality is premium, drastically increasing the job’s cost. The price also depends on the artist who performs the painting operation.
But your bike’s condition can also add up to the cost. If your bike has few dents or requires a minor repair, the repair cost is automatically included in the custom paint job price. Of course, you don’t want to make a damaged bike new looking.
– Cost of a DIY Motorcycle Paint Job
The motorcycle DIY paint job is cost-efficient, affordable, and can cost around $20 to a few hundred bucks. It is an excellent option if you are low on the budget or are interested in doing things yourself. However, some factors still come in that can affect DIY paint prices.
First, if you are unfamiliar with the work, it will be best to watch as many videos on the topic until you fully understand what to do. Otherwise, you may mess things up if you have no idea how to do it, and the result will be rather ugly.
So, going DIY-style is indeed the most affordable option, but you should have a clear concept of the procedure. Don’t worry! We have given the steps on how you can paint your bike yourself down below. But you should watch some videos for even solid understanding.
What Is the Cost of Painting the Motorcycle’s Different Parts?
The cost of painting the motorcycle’s different parts varies depending on your preferences. If you are only painting the fuel tank (the most visible part and prone to damage), the cost will be lower. But if you wish to paint your custom motorcycle body completely, it may become a little costly.
– The Cost of Painting a Motorcycle Fuel Tank
Painting a motorcycle fuel tank can cost from $200 to $500. Since it is an easy task, you can also do it yourself. You will only require some spray paint cans (discussed later) and complete the job. However, they may not look that professional. Although it will merely cost you $50, you can get better results if you consult a paint shop.
Anyways, the fuel tank is also prone to dents, so you may have to consider its repair too. If you only get the paint job for the tank, it will be cheaper, but the dents will look odd. Instead, repairing the dents may cost a little extra, but the final result will be spectacular.
– The Cost of Painting the Motorcycle’s Frame, Side Covers & Rare Fenders
The cost of painting the motorcycle completely, including the frame, side covers, and rare fenders with the fuel tank, will become somewhat expensive. Again, the average cost is around $800 to $1,000, depending on whether you are doing it yourself or from a professional. Also, you must factor in the paint quality, as paints with great finish or gloss are expensive.
How Much Does a Powder Coating and Airbrush Spray Cost?
The airbrush spray paint for a motorcycle can cost relatively less than other paint jobs. However, it isn’t a reliable solution. It may cost you $100 to $300, depending on the fact you also purchase cans for primer, base coat, and other glossing sprays. Anyhow, the method is pocket-friendly and fun.
On the other hand, some spray paint jobs are complex yet most durable. You have to take your bike to a paint shop as they know how to do it. But, these processes can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars because these motorcycle paint sprays are expensive and require skillful hands.
Powder coating costs cheaper in the long run than normal wet painting, but its price is much higher. It can cost you from $1,500 to $5,000. Since the process uses electrical charges to paint, known as electroplating, it lasts a lot longer than usual the regular painting cost. But the method is quite complicated and is considered a professional paint job.
How Can You Paint Your Motorcycle Yourself?
To paint your motorcycle yourself, you need to choose the paint, and a suitable location, and select the method. We recommend spray paints if you are performing them for the first time. Select the custom paint color and other important items, like a primer, sandpaper, and painting masks.
Follow the instructions below:
- Disassemble your bike and remove all the other parts you don’t want to paint.
- Sand the parts and areas you want to paint. It is essential because the process will remove all the rust and old paint.
- Clean the parts with a damp microfiber cloth to remove the dust and let it dry.
- Apply a coat of primer.
- Apply a filler if you have dents, dings, scratches, or any damage on the body surface. It will provide a smooth texture.
- Pick the paint can and apply the first layer. Let it dry for some time.
- Once it is dried, repeat step 6 twice or thrice to add a second and third layer.
- When it is completely dried, reassemble the parts. Your motorbike is new like ever.
How Much Does a Motorcycle Paint Job Cost If I Get it Done from Professionals?
A motorcycle paint job typically costs $500 to $1,500 if you get it done by professionals. Hiring professionals from a paint shop is expensive as apart from the price of paints; you also have to pay the labor cost. However, you get a professional paint job that has excellent results.
– Body Shop Charges and Fees
A body shop usually charges around a few hundred dollars, depending on the shop, location, and the type of service you require. Since the prices vary from region to region, your nearby shop may charge you extra or less than the surrounding ones.
They paint the bike in one color and treat the whole vehicle as one unit, it doesn’t demand too much work, and the job is done easily. Going to a body shop is a good option if you only want to repair some damages or paint scratches.
– Artistic Paint Experts Charges
An artistic paint job is even more expensive as they paint your bike with custom paint and design. The cheapest work will cost between $400 and $900, but it usually averages thousands of dollars. So, if you want a more personalized touch to your bike and (of course) can afford it, getting an artistic paint job will be brilliant.
How Much Does Removing Paint Scratch Cost?
Removing paint scratches can cost from $150 to $500, depending on the damage and type of scratches. You can repair it from some household items for free if it is a minor scratch over the clear coat. You can use nail polish of the same color to treat the scratch effectively, or you can also use toothpaste to buff the light grooves.
But if the scratch is a little deeper, like damaging the primer, you may need to spend some money buying an instant painting kit, costing around $100 to $150. The items and the method are already mentioned above. You need to clean and sand the area, apply the primer, and a few coats of bike paint.
However, if the damage is on the paint and has deeper grooves, it will be best to let the professionals handle the situation. You can still repair it yourself at a lower cost, but the results may not be satisfactory. So, get a professional paint job if there are deeper paint scratches.
How Long Does a Motorcycle Paint Job Take?
A motorcycle paint job can take from 1 to 10 hours. It usually depends on the methods and who is performing the task. If you are doing it for yourself, you will require about 2-3 hours if you have done it before.
However, if you are doing it for the first time, it can take up to 10 hours (including drying time).
So, the best tip will be to hand your bike to a professional body shop for faster work. They can perform the paint job in an hour to a few hours, depending on the type of painting, your motorbike’s model, and the level of detailing you to need.
1. How Often Should I Paint My Motorcycle?
You don’t need to paint your bike more often. It is only necessary when you desire your motorcycle in a new look or it gets damaged. As painting motorcycle is a costly process, it is better to pay the price when required. But a repaint becomes essential if you find scratches on your motorcycle paint.
2. Can I Repair Motorcycle Paint Scratches Myself for Free?
Yes, you can repair paint scratches for free if they are minor or moderate grooves. You can either use nail polish or toothpaste for this purpose. Apply a thin coat of nail polish over the area and let it dry. Or put a small amount of toothpaste over the scratches and rub it in gentle circular motions until it is buffed.
How Can You Save Money on Motorcycle Paint Job?
You can save money on motorcycle paint jobs in multiple ways. Here are a few of them:
- If the required work is on a small scale, or you don’t want much specialized custom paint job, it will be better to do it yourself.
- Shop for the paints and other items on sale or during an event for the best prices.
- If you have some old paints or spray cans, use them. It will reduce the cost of buying new ones.
- Disassemble the parts yourself to reduce labor costs.
- Find a reference or a professional friend to get a discount.
So, what is the motorcycle paint cost? To wrap up the article, check the following important points:
- Typically, a paint job costs around $500 to $1,000.
- A regular paint job can cost around $500, a custom paint job can cost $1,000+, and a DIY paint job can cost around $150.
- An airbrush spray paint can cost around $300, while a powder coating can cost more than $1,500.
- The professional paint job will yield the best results, but you have to pay the labor cost.
Painting a motorcycle is not a hard task, and you can have decent bodywork yourself. But hiring experts is the best way to get the ultimate finish. You can even treat paint scratches with some household items. But if you wish for some custom paint or artistic paint job, be ready to pay extra cash for the glorious looks.
- Oil Filter Brands to Avoid: Top Brands To Stay Away From - October 1, 2023
- Leaking Fuel Injector Symptoms and How to Fix It - September 30, 2023
- Is The Chevy Equinox AWD or FWD? All You Need to Know - September 29, 2023