A keyless remote battery low problem is something car owners rarely give any thought to until it happens. And if it does happen, it can be very frustrating and confusing.
As such, it is pertinent for every car owner to understand the steps to take if they find themselves in a situation where their keyless remote battery gets low.Don’t worry as our automotive team is here to give you all the details you need to know, so continue reading!
- 1 What Does It Mean When a Keyless Remote Battery Gets Low?
- 2 What Are the Next Steps if a Keyless Remote Battery Is Low?
- 3 How Long Does It Take a Keyless Remote Battery To Get Low?
- 4 How Can You Tell a Keyless Remote Battery Is Low?
- 5 How Much Will It Cost To Replace a Keyless Remote Battery?
- 6 Conclusion
What Does It Mean When a Keyless Remote Battery Gets Low?
What it means when a keyless remote battery gets low is that the battery inside of the remote has lost power, and the remote will not function properly. While this is something many owners never really consider, it can happen after multiple years of using a keyless remote.
Many years ago, the idea of a keyless remote for a vehicle was truly foreign. However, technology has revolutionized the automotive industry, and many cars nowadays can operate fully without ever needing a key. Unfortunately, these key fobs are powered by a battery that, like other batteries, gets weak with time.
When the keyless remote battery is weak, the functionality of the key fob takes a hit. The vehicle owner starts observing difficulties accessing their vehicle, and the worst case scenario is the owner getting locked out of their vehicle. For this reason, all car owners should understand what to do when their keyless remote battery is low.
What Are the Next Steps if a Keyless Remote Battery Is Low?
The next steps if a keyless remote battery is low are replacing the battery, using a remote application, or using a spare key. The exact step you take depends on the circumstances. For instance, you will prioritize replacing the battery if you notice a decreased functionality early.
Luckily, all of these steps are quite straightforward. We consider them in more detail below.
Replace the Battery
This is the best fix to a low keyless remote battery, as it is the only fix that actually assures you of a return to the normal functioning of the key fob. What’s more, it is effortless and straightforward to implement.
Below are the steps to replacing your keyless remote battery.
- Find out the correct battery for your key fob. For most other things in your vehicle, you can’t just use an incompatible replacement and expect normal functioning; this applies to the key fob too. You can find the battery model in your owner’s manual or after opening up the key fob and examining the battery.
- Open the key fob carefully. This should be relatively easy, and finding a flat material to pull apart the two sides of the key fob will suffice. If there’s a screw, carefully unscrew it with a screwdriver before pulling the two sides apart.
- Remove the battery in the key fob carefully. Depending on the model of the vehicle and the type of key fob, you may need to push aside some clips to be able to remove the battery. While removing the battery, take note how it is oriented and installed, as you must replicate this orientation during the actual battery replacement.
- Fix the new battery in the same manner as the old one was fixed. If the battery is fixed wrongly, the key fob will still not work. After fixing the battery, ensure the key fob is back to the position it was before you opened it.
- Cover the key fob by simply reversing the process by which you opened it. If there are screws, you need to put them back in place. Ensure the key fob is well covered and the sides are facing the right direction.
- Test the functionality of the key fob. If there was no mistake in the replacement process, the key fob should work perfectly as before.
You can replace the battery of your key fob yourself without any stress. However, if you find it particularly tricky or difficult, you can refer to a professional. In most places, you will not even be charged for the entire process, except for the cost of the battery.
Use a Remote Application
As is the trend across all industries in the world, motor companies often offer a mobile app that can handle many of the functions of the key fob. However, as you would expect, the intuitiveness and smoothness of the application depend on the vehicle’s brand and model.
Here are common brands with remote mobile applications that can help you gain access to your car.
- Audi: The name of Audi’s remote application is myAudi App, which allows owners to unlock their cars if the key fob dies.
- BMW: For BMW owners, if your key fob is low or dies, you can access your car via an application or the BMW website. The application is called the Connected Drive App; on the website, it is the Connected Drive Programme.
- Ford: Owners with the 2017 or 2018 Ford models can use the SYNC Connect remote system to unlock their vehicle. The FordPass application offers even more remote functions to Ford owners. However, this app is only available beyond the 2018 models.
- Honda: For Honda key fob, there is the HondaLink application that allows users to unlock their vehicles with a dead key fob. The app also offers other assistance services to owners. This works for Honda CR-V too.
- Nissan: With the Nissan Connect app or website, Nissan owners can unlock their vehicles if their keyless remote battery is low.
- Toyota: As you would expect of Toyota, there is an application that also allows you to unlock your car doors if need be. The name of the app is Toyota Remote Connect.
Use a Spare or Hidden Key
At times, you may need to take a trip back to the past to access your vehicle if your key fob battery is low. While the key fob’s selling point is that it is keyless, many vehicles still have a hidden key in emergency cases. You can know if your vehicle is one of those vehicles by going through your owner’s manual.
Aside from a hidden key, getting a spare key for your vehicle is advisable. While it is not the worst problem for car owners to have, a keyless remote battery going low can be frustrating and may even restrict access to the vehicle. There’s no harm in preparing for the worst-case situations by investing in a spare key.
How Long Does It Take a Keyless Remote Battery To Get Low?
It takes a keyless remote battery three to four years to get low. Take note that this estimation is based on consistent use. Many car owners service their cars once a year, so consider changing the car key fob battery at your third car servicing.
This is one of the many frequently asked questions about key fobs. It is essential to note that you don’t have to change your keyless remote battery every time you service your car. Even if the battery does get low, there is little risk to your key fob. In fact, consistently changing the key fob batteries can weaken the grip of the key fob sides.
How Can You Tell a Keyless Remote Battery Is Low?
You can tell a keyless remote battery is low if there is a warning light on your dashboard, if you need multiple clicks for the key fob to respond, or if the key fob’s signal has reduced. Generally, you would notice a decline in functionality.
For many, the most visible sign is the warning sign on the dashboard, while some may not notice this sign but observe a decline in the key fob’s functionality. For instance, the remote may need more than one click to operate, or it works only at very close distances. Some may even notice some keys of the remote not working at all.
How Much Will It Cost To Replace a Keyless Remote Battery?
It costs about five dollars to replace a keyless remote battery. That is not a lot of money, considering how important the key fob is for many car owners. Moreover, many professionals will cover the battery cost, meaning you spend next to nothing.
You may have several difficulties accessing your vehicle if you have a keyless remote battery low problem.
Fortunately, there are ways around it, and this article has considered them, with the key points as follows:
- To solve a keyless remote battery low problem, focus on replacing the remote’s battery.
- You can replace the low battery yourself in a straightforward manner.
- If you are not in a position where you can remove the battery of the keyless remote, you can unlock your car using a remote application or a hidden key.
- Consider changing the battery of your keyless remote after three to four years.
While you can absolutely replace the key fob battery yourself, don’t hesitate to visit a professional if you find it difficult to replace the low battery. Otherwise, five dollars could quickly turn into a hundred!
- How Fast Are Harley Davidson Motorcycles on the Road? - May 29, 2023
- How Much Does a 30 Foot Camper Weigh With and Without Cargo? - May 29, 2023
- How Many Axles Does a Car Have and What Are the Types? - May 29, 2023