When to get an attorney for a car accident is something any driver will consider after a minor or major accident. You might be wondering if you should just accept the blame or contact the insurance company before contacting a lawyer.
A car accident lawyer is a professional that can help represent your best interest before the insurance company and protect you from signing any settlements that will harm you. In this guide, we’ll answer the questions you might have about attorneys after automotive accidents.
- 1 When Should You Get an Attorney for a Vehicular Accident?
- 2 Why Do You Need an Attorney After a Vehicular Accident?
- 2.1 A Lawyer Can Evaluate Damages
- 2.2 A Lawyer Knows About Your State’s Law and Insurance Policies
- 2.3 A Lawyer Can Provide a Contingency Plan
- 2.4 You Were Seriously Injured
- 2.5 The At-Fault Driver Refuses To Claim Responsibility
- 2.6 The Lawyer Knows About the Settlement Process
- 2.7 You Can Avoid the Statute of Limitations
- 3 What Should You Do After a Vehicular Accident?
- 4 What Should You Avoid Doing After an Auto Accident?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
When Should You Get an Attorney for a Vehicular Accident?
You should get an attorney for a vehicular accident right after you have the minor or major accident. The main reason why you need an attorney is to give you the compensation that you deserve from the insurance company or protect you from being at fault.
If there is damage to your car or to yourself and you have insurance, you should contact your lawyer for insurance negotiation. You should also get a law firm for car accidents if you are unsure of who caused it between you and the other driver. If you try to negotiate yourself or you accept the first settlement the insurance company or other driver offers, you can lose money.
When you contact a personal injury lawyer, you should come equipped with certain information. These include contact information, police report, medical records, witness statements and their contact information, financial documents or medical receipts, and pictures of the accident scene or damage. You should provide key facts about your case and the insurance company contract.
Circumstances That Require a Car Accident Lawyer
You should contact a car accident lawyer if you, your passengers, or the other driver has been injured or your accident was complex or severe.
Here are some other reasons why you should call a lawyer after an auto accident:
- An auto accident where the faulty party has not been decided
- An accident in a school zone, construction zone or work zone.
- Any car crash that involves another car, cyclist, or pedestrian
- If there are truck accidents, motorcycle accidents or property damage
- If you disagree with the police report
- If you or the other driver is uninsured or underinsured
- If you are finding it hard to communicate with the insurance company
- Collisions that lead to property or vehicle damage
- If you or your passengers missed significant work
- If you caused the accident and need legal help
- The insurance companies are blaming you for the car accident
- You are not able to pay for treatment
- You’re not sure how serious the injury is, or the insurance company is not taking your injury seriously
You might not need an auto accident attorney if you have a small fender-bender, if there are no injuries, and if you didn’t lose anything after the accident.
Why Do You Need an Attorney After a Vehicular Accident?
You need an attorney after a vehicular accident for different reasons, mainly because you need someone who is experienced in car accident claims, and you need to prove liability in the crash. Even after collecting evidence, you need a lawyer to prove your insurance claim and protect you.
A Lawyer Can Evaluate Damages
While you are meant to collect evidence after the accident, you need a lawyer to assess it. Lawyers have all the resources needed to build a case, validate the seriousness of your injuries like brain injury or if there was wrongful death, gather records, and even hire accident reconstruction specialists.
A Lawyer Knows About Your State’s Law and Insurance Policies
The law of your state can differ based on where you live, so you need an expert lawyer that is knowledgeable about the law in your region. You also need to know more about the insurance policies of your state, and a lawyer can help you with this.
A Lawyer Can Provide a Contingency Plan
If you are contacting a lawyer and there is a long settlement process or you have to file a lawsuit, you will need a contingency plan.
Many lawyers provide you with a plan to pay your bills so you can get help. Some also provide free consultation for your accident case.
You Were Seriously Injured
Another reason why you might need a lawyer is if there is an injury case, your work status was permanently altered, or the crash involved multiple vehicles. After an auto accident, the victim’s life will be completely changed, and the lawyer can help in getting due compensation. If it was a multi-car crash, different vehicles and individuals would be at fault.
The At-Fault Driver Refuses To Claim Responsibility
Suppose the other driver states that they are not responsible, and you know that they are; you can contact a lawyer. Your attorney can prevent the other driver from shifting blame to you and build a strong case on your behalf.
The Lawyer Knows About the Settlement Process
All personal injury lawyers know all there is to know about settling with an insurance company. With a lawyer, you will be walking into the settlement without the chance of being blindsided.
The lawyer can also explain your rights and advise you so that you make the right decision in car accident cases.
You Can Avoid the Statute of Limitations
Take note that there is a statute of limitations on filing a lawsuit against the driver that is at fault after the accident. This also differs based on the state you are in. You should contact a personal injury attorney so that you know the time needed to file a lawsuit, especially if there was serious damage to your car or your body.
What Should You Do After a Vehicular Accident?
After a vehicular accident, you should contact the emergency response first to report the accident. Call 911, and this would alert the police officials and medical team to the place where the accident happened. This way, you and the other driver can get medical attention.
All of this information will help car accident attorneys figure out who is at fault. Now, you can contact a lawyer after the auto accident. The insurance company will provide you with a low-ball settlement offer, and you need to contact a lawyer to help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact a trusted lawyer to start building your case or to negotiate with the insurance company.
Filing a Claim
You can file a claim by contacting your insurance company after the accident. It’s important to have a lawyer before you file the personal injury claim so that they can negotiate and get you the compensation that you deserve. You can contact skilled negotiators to get maximum compensation for your auto accident.
When it comes to the personal injury claim, it is between your insurance company and the company of the driver that is at fault. It also comes with a long period of negotiations, especially if you’re unsure about who caused the accident.
If the insurance company refuses to provide a settlement, you might also need to file a personal injury lawsuit or case against the negligent party and seek damages. This usually happens when the insurance company does not agree with how serious your injuries are or who is at fault. If you don’t get a settlement, you can consider a car accident case.
What Should You Avoid Doing After an Auto Accident?
You should avoid just walking away and not contacting the police after an auto accident. It might be tempting to just collect the other driver’s number and go on your way, especially if you’re in a rush. It’s important to note that some car accident injuries don’t present right away.
It might take days or weeks for you to realize you’ve been injured, so you should always report the accident and get a police and medical report. Another thing you should avoid doing after car accidents is admitting blame because this can cause you to be the guilty party. You might find yourself apologizing even if you didn’t cause the accident or if you are partly to blame. Apologizing can be used against you afterwards.
Finally, you should not accept a settlement without talking to accident lawyers first. The insurance company might try to pressure you into accepting the settlement, making it seem like their final offer. Contact an attorney first, and then you can negotiate with the insurance company. Immediately after the accident, you should avoid making these car accident mistakes.
Frequently Asked Questions
– Should You Get a Lawyer if the Car Accident Wasn’t Your Fault?
Yes, you should get a lawyer even if the auto accident wasn’t your fault because the at-fault driver could deny their role or the insurance company might not want to give you good compensation. You have the right to a lawyer, no matter who caused the accident.
Even if you are sure that you are not at fault, you need a lawyer’s help to give you the best outcome. The lawyer can also file a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party.
– What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
A car accident attorney helps those involved in an auto accident seek compensation for the damage caused. The lawyer can help you build a personal injury claim against the other driver or the construction company and also get compensation from the insurance company.
An auto accident can lead to significant injuries that would take a long time to heal, and some victims don’t recover. The lawyer can also gather information, give you legal advice, obtain evidence, and negotiate.
– Can You Settle Your Car Accident Without a Lawyer?
Yes, you can settle your car accident without a lawyer, but it is not the best idea. Without a lawyer, you might end up getting cheated by the insurance company, as they usually offer low compensation, or the at-fault driver might try to cheat you.
Now that you understand when to get an attorney for a car accident, you can protect your rights whenever you find yourself in car accidents.
Here’s a summary of what we covered:
- You should get an attorney for a car accident when you find yourself in a minor or major car accident.
- You need a lawyer when you are involved in an accident, the fault of the auto accident is unclear, you miss work, you are unable to pay for medical bills, and other reasons.
- After a car accident, the first thing to do is contact 911 and then get the police and medical reports; then, you can contact a lawyer.
- After a car accident, you should avoid not reporting the accident, admitting blame, or taking a settlement without checking.
- You can file a claim by contacting your lawyer and the insurance company and providing them with details of the accident.
With this guide, you don’t have to be confused after an auto accident. You should consider hiring a professional lawyer that knows all there is to know about your city and the legal situation, and one that provides a free case evaluation.
- Black Tank Flush Not Working: Causes and Quick Fixes - September 27, 2023
- What Causes a Car to Sputter While Driving & How to Fix It - September 26, 2023
- Rack and Pinion Leak: Common Causes and Their Solutions - September 25, 2023