This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Ford Explorer cargo space dimensions are considerably large, providing enough space for people and luggage. The Ford Explorer is a decent mid-sized sport utility vehicle that ranks consistently as one of the best sellers in its class.
It satisfies owners when it comes to conveying families and loads, owing to its plenty of trunk and cargo room.
Continue reading to find out the cargo and trunk dimensions of various Ford Explorer models.
JUMP TO TOPIC
- 1 What Are the Ford Explorer Cargo and Trunk Dimensions?
- 1.1 – Ford Explorer Cargo Space Length
- 1.2 – Maximum Cargo Space
- 1.3 – 2022 Ford Explorer Cargo Dimensions
- 1.4 – 2020 Ford Explorer Cargo Dimensions
- 1.5 – Steps To Calculate Ford Explorer Cargo Space Dimensions
- 1.6 – Ford Explorer Cargo Area Management System
- 1.7 – Ford Explorer Interior Dimensions and Features
- 2 FAQ
- 3 Can You Compare the Cargo Space Dimensions of the Ford Explorer and Kia Soul?
- 4 Conclusion
What Are the Ford Explorer Cargo and Trunk Dimensions?
The Ford Explorer cargo and trunk dimensions are 41.3 x 41.9 x 29.9 inches (length x width x height). Its cargo space is 87.8 cubic feet behind the first row, 47.9 cubic feet behind second row, and 18.2 cubic feet behind third row.
To some extent, the Ford Explorer offers plenty of cargo area. Even so, the vehicle itself is adaptable enough to transport your family, friends, and luggage. At the same time, flatten the unoccupied seats to have a considerable open space to fill with any cargo you may need to transfer. In other words, the Ford Explorer Cargo provides different options depending on the number of passengers you want.
This vehicle has a seating capacity of up to seven people, and each seat row has ample room for passengers to get comfortable no matter their seat. More specifically, the first row can seat two people, the second row can seat three people, and the third row can also seat an extra two people. Ford has classed this automobile as a mid-size SUV, but with the copious interior space, it tends to satisfy most owners.
– Ford Explorer Cargo Space Length
The cargo space length behind third-row seats stands at 20.8 inches, while the length behind second-row seats stands at 49.8 inches. The Ford Explorer has a cargo space length of 83.9 inches, and the rear passenger seats remain folded flat into the floor.
The Explorer has a cargo space of 18.2 cubic feet behind the third row. Furthermore, it has 47.9 cubic feet of cargo space when the second and third rows get folded down. This is a good amount of space that can comfortably fit seven people and their belongings.
– Maximum Cargo Space
The Explorer has a maximum cargo volume of 87.2 cubic feet when all the rear seats are folded. You’ll agree that these dimensions are magnificent and give you various options for transporting cargo.
The Explorer can comfortably carry seven passengers and still offer you up to 18.2 cubic feet of cargo space. But take note that folding the seats down may not be an option if you intend to travel with several passengers.
– 2022 Ford Explorer Cargo Dimensions
The 2022 Ford Explorer cargo dimensions are 18.2 cubic feet of cargo hold behind the third-row seats. Folding down the third row opens a total of 47.9 cubic feet while folding down the second and third rows provides a total of 87.8 cubic feet of space.
These dimensions are above the average calculations for midsize SUVs in this class. They compare well with the 2023 model and some other recent Ford models. Thus, the vehicle’s cargo area is as good as the dimensions indicate. Thanks to the removable floor panel, there is more space behind the raised third row.
Even though the differences in maximum cargo space between the Ford Explorer and competitors are somewhat negligible, those extra cubes of space make a world of difference when packing more luggage, installing a roof box, or making passengers sit with their duffle bags.
– 2020 Ford Explorer Cargo Dimensions
The 2020 Ford Explorer cargo dimensions are slightly smaller when compared to the recent models. It measures 48.1 inches in width between the wheel wells. This means building materials can lay flat while the cargo floor is reversible, with vinyl on one side and carpet on the other.
Correlatively, the 2020 Ford Explorer’s space behind the third row lies midway between the Kia Telluride and the Honda Pilot. Those third-row seats fold down to equivalent portions through the power-folding mechanism.
At this point, the accessible space slightly exceeds those of competitors in this class. More simply, you can fold the middle seats so that maximum space provides a slight edge.
– Steps To Calculate Ford Explorer Cargo Space Dimensions
The steps to calculate Ford Explorer cargo space dimensions include measuring the volume of the vehicle. With simple arithmetic, multiplying the open space’s estimated length, width and height indicate the functional cargo space volume. This will give you an accurate estimation of what to expect from your car.
Measurements showed that the 87.2 cubic feet are the interior cargo space when the first and second rows of passenger seats are folded. But folding only the third row gives a cargo space of 47.9 cubic feet.
Above all, this mid-size SUV has a high cargo hold. But when comparing the dimension of the Ford Explorer with other SUVs for their hauling capacity, it is pivotal to note that most companies may provide the measurements for the entire interior rather than details of the separate cargo space.
– Ford Explorer Cargo Area Management System
The function of the Ford Explorer cargo area management system is to help ensure the proper load arrangement in your cargo space. This system provides a rubberized protective layer for the rear cargo well, movable dividers, a cargo net and a reversible load floor fitting for the cargo well.
All these components help you to fully utilize the available cargo space, keeping your cargo area tidy. You can always add this interior package to your Ford Explorer if it is missing.
– Ford Explorer Interior Dimensions and Features
The Ford Explorer interior dimensions and features are different for the headroom, legroom, shoulder room, and hip room. The main features include leather-trimmed seating, a power moonroof, a wireless charging pad, automatic climate control, Panoramic Vista Roof with power shade, heated front seats, etc.
From its outlook, you can almost tell that the Ford Explorer Cargo is a vehicle built to provide space. Whether you have the first row or the three-seat rows occupied or in place, you will enjoy a spacious ride and never miss out on the trunk space.
Take a look at the dimensions of the interior cabin for this vehicle below:
- Headroom (1st/2nd row): 40.6 inches/ 39.5 inches
- Shoulder room (1st/2nd row): 61.5 inches/ 61.2 inches
- Hip room (1st/2nd row): 59.0 inches/ 59.2 inches
- Legroom (1st/2nd/3rd row): 42.9 inches/ 40.0 inches/ 33.3 inches
The interior volume specifications are summarized below:
- Interior Volume: 170.9 cubic feet
- Passenger Volume: 152.7 cubic feet
- Cargo Volume: 18.2 cubic feet
1. Does the 2021 Ford Explorer Cargo Have Good Towing Capacity?
Yes, the 2021 Ford Explorer cargo has a good towing capacity, but it does not come with the standard tow hitch. You can add it to any Explorer model by mounting the Class III Trailer Tow Package. The Class III Trailer Tow Package comprises a frame-mounted hitch with trailer connectors.
On the Ford Explorer, this trailer hitch can tow up to 5,000 pounds and support a 500 pounds tongue weight. If you need more towing range, go for the Ford Explorer ST and Platinum models, which can tow up to 5,600 pounds.
Can You Compare the Cargo Space Dimensions of the Ford Explorer and Kia Soul?
Well, there you have it! Ford Explorer is well-equipped with roomy second and third-row seats, ensuring you and your passenger enjoy a comfortable ride.
Here’s a quick recap of the crucial points we mentioned in this article:
- This vehicle has a cargo space length of 83.9 inches when the rear passenger seats remain folded flat into the floor.
- The Explorer also has a cargo capacity of 18.2 cubic feet behind the third row, a 47.9 cubic feet cargo space when the second and third rows are folded down, and a maximum cargo space of 87.2 cubic feet when all the rear seats are folded.
- The Explorer has a maximum cargo volume of 87.2 cubic feet when all the rear seats are folded.
- The Ford Explorer has a seating capacity of up to seven people.
- Ford Explorer has a good towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds.
If you are looking for a mid-sized SUV with a spacious interior and good hauling purposes, the Ford Explorer ranks as one of the top choices to suit your needs.
- Stuck Spark Plug: Easy Steps To Remove It Like a Pro - March 1, 2024
- 5.3 Vortec HP Upgrades: Best Ways to Upgrade Horsepower - March 1, 2024
- Battery Voltage Keeps Going Up and Down: Solved - March 1, 2024